Growing older doesn’t mean spending your remaining days in your home watching television. The world is full of incredible organisations that would love it if you signed up as a volunteer. Not only will they benefit from your service, but you’ll find the quality of your life improves when you start volunteering.
The great thing about volunteering is that it provides you with a reason to not only get out of your house and interact with other people, but you’ll also enjoy a strong sense of satisfaction that comes with knowing you’re doing something that benefits your community.
A recent research study showcased the importance of Giving Back. The study looked at every single aspect of each participant’s volunteering experience, including:
- Whether the organisation allowed the volunteer to choose the tasks they handled
- If the organisation provided the necessary training
- If ongoing support was provided to the volunteers
- The volunteer’s perceived benefits acquired from their volunteering experience
- The personal benefits the volunteer gained from their experience
When the study concluded, participants reported that as a result of their volunteering efforts they:
- Noticed improved self-esteem
- They felt they experienced personal growth
- Enjoyed the social aspects of the experience
As they interviewed the participants, it was noted that each showed a marked improvement in both their mental health and socio emotional health. It was also noted that the volunteers that received the most benefit from the time they devoted to volunteering were the ones that worked with an organisation that provided sufficient training, support, and volunteer flexibility.
Read more of the article here